Friday, April 14, 2006

Rain rain come again

There is something about playing a sport in the rain that is unique. May be the fact that you are drenched completely, which makes the body feel that you sweated a lot and therefore got a good workout. Maybe the athelete's high that comes from keeping at it and pushing your limits, despite the rain, depite the environment. Maybe its just that the world looks more greener, more serene, more beautiful than ever in the rain. Well, at least in my mind.

We played an exhilarating game of Ultimate Frizbee in pouring rain today. People were dropping wet disks all the time, sliding intentionally and unintentionally, throwing the disc in crazy arcs et. al. But there was a particular moment that was strangely satisfying. I was breathing heavily and my eyes were clouded with a mix of sweat and rainwater. And I felt a drop of water begin its journey. Started from the forehead, pushed straight down to the nose, took that narrow bridge to tortuously hang from the tip of of my nose till I decided to let it drop with a shake of my head. I looked up, still breathing heavily, inadvertently taking in the surroundings. The lush green field as beautiful as ever, clouds hanging on the hillsides all around, the rain plopping down like tiny rocks... it was serene. Beautiful.

The thought bubble vanished when somewhere behind me, someone yelled "Uuuullltimate!". I turned around, took a deep breath, and ran like a madman into the rain....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home